RE: Questions prompted by the publication of WS-ReliableMessaging

I think that companies working on WS-ReliableMessaging bodes well for the
widespread adoption of an sigle, open, RF, interoperable reliability
specification that architects well with other Web service specifications.

What I'm really surprised by is the pushback that people are giving on the
possibility that ws-rm won't automatically go to the oasis ws-reliability
TC.   One of the biggest differences between the W3C and OASIS is that the
W3C has a community review process for new working groups.  The goal at the
W3C being to have a charter for a working group that all the W3C Members can
live with and is technically consistent with other works in progress.
Indeed, the work that the W3C Team and member companies do to come up with
such a charter and then the 4 week AC review period are the biggest
contributors to the length of time to form a Working Group, IMO.  OASIS has
no such intent or process.

If you like forming WG's quickly, you can't ALSO want there to be consensus
in the industry around a single Working Group and it's charter.  Time to
market or consensus, pick one.

Continuing the community review of charters a little further, TC's can
arbitrarily change their charter without a community review.  The IP issues
around changes in charters alone gives me the willies, like how the heck do
you do early IP disclosure if the charter can change???

Further, individual members of OASIS don't treat TC formation as a "first to
pole wins" wrt charters.  OASIS provides a place for like minded individuals
to do work.  It has no structure for insisting on consistency or
relationship between TCs or other groups.  Though such is certainly
permitted, pending whether the individuals choose to.

Surely these differences in processes and their plus and minues have been
obvious for years now and people shouldn't be surprised by what can happen,
or that it automatically means something *bad* for Web services.  If people
have reservations about the OASIS process, then talking about it on w3c
ws-arch seems like it would need to get moved off of the w3c pretty fast.
I'm ok with talking about the impact of various processes on web services
architecture for a while, but it's probably something that needs to be
wrapped up quickly.  Finally, people seem to like the OASIS process as lots
of work is being done there.

Cheers,
Dave