Re: Friendly amendment #2c [Re: Straw poll on "synchronous" definitions]

From: Christopher B Ferris <chrisfer@us.ibm.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 09:05:32 -0500
To: www-ws-arch@w3.org
Walden Mathews <waldenm@optonline.net> wrote on 03/15/2003 01:24:51 PM:

> I don't understand, but I want to.
> What would be an example of a oneway message exchange that was
> synchronous?  One that was asynchronous?  Actually, if it's oneway, can
> you really call it an exchange?

I think that Arkin responded on this point. We call them MEPs or Message
Exchenge Patterns for a reason:-) I am fairly certain that the XMLP group
had oneway message exchanges in mind when it coined the "MEP" phrase since
I was
there at the time:)

> Can you elaborate on why the definitions should not be complementary?

Because as Roger has so eloquently pointed out, his Aunt Mary is not
synchronous, so she must be asynchronous by our definition? I think we can

> There a lots of examples that seem to work: typical vs atypical, sexual
> asexual.  What's wrong/different about this?
> Thanks,
> Walden Mathews

Christopher Ferris
email: chrisfer@us.ibm.com