Re: Comments on WSA "Architectural Style" section 1.2

On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 06:42:25PM -0500, Walden Mathews wrote:
> Assuming we know something about the method used for deriving
> one style from another, namely that it's purely about adding more
> constraints
> to derive new styles.  Although Fielding prefers that method in his REST
> thesis, we have no right to assume it's the preferred method here.

If you permit derivation in a manner that doesn't carry forward the
constraints with it, then that's equivalent to saying that all styles
derive from all others.  Not particularly useful.

I can't fathom any other means of style derivation than by constraint
extension.

> What this means for SOA is both good news and bad news.  The bad
> news is that the architecture document is in error when it says that
> "mediated
> SOA" doesn't use URIs to identify resources.  The good news is, yes it
> does.  It does because SOA resources are "services", hence always abstract
> and dynamic, as distinct from data representations.  It's a trivial test, as
> compared with some REST cases.

Whoa.  I'd prefer not to go there.  I'll just let my comments stand.