From: Mark Baker [mailto:distobj@acm.org]
Sent: Tuesday, March 04, 2003 11:55 AM
To: Cutler, Roger (RogerCutler)
Cc: www-ws-arch@w3.org
Subject: Re: FW: Reliable Messaging Summary

On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 09:50:53AM -0600, Cutler, Roger (RogerCutler)
wrote:
> > Reliability:  A predictable quality of service. This is a separate
> > issue from fault tolerance, availability, or security.

I'd like to recommend Roy Fielding's definition.  It's more broad than
what's been suggested so far, but it seems bang on from my POV;

"Reliability, within the perspective of application architectures, can
be viewed as the degree to which an architecture is susceptible to
failure at the system level in the presence of partial failures within
components, connectors, or data. Styles can improve reliability by
avoiding single points of failure, enabling redundancy, allowing
monitoring, or reducing the scope of failure to a recoverable action."
 --
http://www.ics.uci.edu/~fielding/pubs/dissertation/net_app_arch.htm#sec_
2_3_7