From: Cutler, Roger (RogerCutler) [mailto:RogerCutler@ChevronTexaco.com]
Sent: Saturday, March 01, 2003 10:48 AM
To: Heather Kreger; www-ws-arch@w3.org; Hugo Haas; Champion, Mike
Cc: Eckert, Zulah Karen; hao.he@thomson.com.au; Husband, Yin-Leng; Mark
Potts; igor.sedukhin@ca.com
Subject: RE: Submission from MTF for F2F

It seems to me that section 3.2 goes beyond the scope of architecture
and gets into a specific specification.  It looks like a fine
specification to me, but I think that there is a real problem including
it in the formal, normative work product of the WG.  One reason is that
potential stakeholders could reasonably say that they were not invited
to participate -- that is, if they had an interest in the spec but not
the architecture the charter of the WG would not have led them to
participate.  I do not think that this is a trivial concern.

Again, I don't think that there is anything wrong with the spec, and in
fact I think it is really good work.  Perhaps a solution would be to
separate that part of it into a Note which would not be normative.   If,
as seems quite likely to me, there is in fact nobody waiting in the
wings champing at the bit to introduce their own spec such a note would,
in practice, probably have the same effect as including the material in
the architecture.  If, contrary to expectations, a competing spec DOES
appear, then this would be confirmation that putting it in the
architecture document would have been the wrong thing to do.