RE: Visibility (was Re: Introducing the Service Oriented Architec tural style, and it's constraints and properties.

From: Burdett, David <david.burdett@commerceone.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2003 16:31:59 -0800
To: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Cc: "'www-ws-arch@w3.org '" <www-ws-arch@w3.org>
Mark

</snip>

> This is why, even though you *can* do it using REST you should not for
> reasons of privacy, transport-protocol independence, message integrity as
> specified in [1], and for the need to record information over and above a
> simple "POST" as described in [2].

I disagree quite strongly.  Those are not architectural properties, and
I believe that architectural styles should be evaluated with respect to
the architectural properties they induce.

Those things you list are features of a *system*, not an architectural
style.

</snip>

The references I quoted are neither architectural properties or features of
a system. They are describe requirements that an architecture for Web
Services must meet. My approach to doing an architecture is:
1. Define Scope
2. Define Requirements (within the scope)
3. Develop an architecture that satisfies the requirements.

David