Re: Visibility (was Re: Introducing the Service Oriented Architec tural style, and it's constraints and properties.

On Sun, Mar 02, 2003 at 08:38:13AM -0500, Christopher B Ferris wrote:
> The fact of the matter is that there are trade-offs made every day. You
> seem to be
> suggesting that we, and the thousands of corporate IT architects and
> executives
> are all a bunch of idiots without the first clue.

Give me a break, Chris.  You've said this at least twice before, and
each time I responded saying that not understanding something (which
is all I'm claiming) is not the same as being an idiot.

Building systems for the Internet is night-and-day different (and far
more difficult!) than building them for the Intranet.  It is this
difficultly that requires solutions that look drastically different than
folks are used to seeing on the Intranet.  I firmly believe that the
misunderstanding going on here is a result of simply not *recognizing*
what the Web really is; a distributed object architecture where all
objects implement the same interface.

Eric wrote;
> Web services is not the Web, either, and we should stop arguing about whether it is or not.
[...]
> And by the way (as long as I'm at it), how and when are we going to get the W3C to stop working on the Semantic Web and take some leadership in Web services?
>
> Or maybe the message here is that the W3C only wants to work on the Web and not on Web services?

You said it yourself, Web services are not the Web.  But the Semantic
Web is the Web.  Like it or not, the W3C's job is to "Lead the Web to
its full potential".  I think it's pretty obvious what that means.