RE: Stateful services (was Web Service Description and stateful services)

From: Savas Parastatidis <Savas.Parastatidis@newcastle.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 05:44:22 +0100
To: "Hao He" <Hao.He@thomson.com.au>, <www-ws-arch@w3.org>
Cc: "Paul Watson" <Paul.Watson@newcastle.ac.uk>, "Jim Webber" <jim.webber@arjuna.com>, "Thomas Rischbeck" <thomas.rischbeck@arjuna.com>, <arnaud.simon@arjuna.com>

Hao,

> hi, Savas,
>
> It seems to me that your OGSI example just shows all you need is a
simple
> requestor differentiator for stateful service.  Did I understand it
> correctly?
>
> I don't like the idea of passing context around.  It does not seem to
> scale.

I believe that both approaches are equally scalable. In the same way you
can pass the Grid service handle (URI) around, you can pass context
around. However, it's the architectural style where the two approaches
differ. One puts the state on the wire (the context passed around is
probably associated with some application state that may be
reconstructed during invocations) while the other (the OGSI one)
perceives web services as objects and GSHs as network pointers to them
(references), which suggests object-orientation rather than
service-orientation.

.savas.