Re: Stateful services (was Web Service Description and stateful services)

From: Sergey Beryozkin <sberyozkin@zandar.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 17:01:54 +0100
To: "Savas Parastatidis" <Savas.Parastatidis@newcastle.ac.uk>, <www-ws-arch@w3.org>
Cc: "Paul Watson" <Paul.Watson@newcastle.ac.uk>, "Jim Webber" <jim.webber@arjuna.com>, "Thomas Rischbeck" <thomas.rischbeck@arjuna.com>, <arnaud.simon@arjuna.com>

Savas,

>In the first case, the "service state" is private to the service. Nobody
>knows and nobody should care what data the service maintains behind its
>interface.

thanks for clarifying this

>In the second case, the "application state" captures interaction,
>application specific information.

>In the third case, a resource is exposed through a URI so that it can be
>identified and refer to. True, a service may decide to expose part or
>the entire resource through its interface, in which case we don't really
>care what's behind that interface.

When I was saying that a service may want to expose different views of the
same data for different customers (security context, for ex) or depending on
what stage the activity is. I thought it would be the second case. Let's
assume a table in a database needs to be exposed. The service may want to
return a different view of this table depending on some "application state"
contained in a given request.

So, this time :-) I think that there're indeed could be 3 different types of
state, but "3. State as in "data resource"" can turn into  "2. Application
state"

Cheers
Sergey Beryozkin