RE: Web Service Description and stateful services - (on the 'www-ws@w3.org' list) Debating on a) Stateful Web Service Instances b) Stateful Interaction - OGSI

From: Ugo Corda <UCorda@SeeBeyond.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 20:54:53 -0700
To: "Assaf Arkin" <arkin@intalio.com>
Cc: <www-ws-arch@w3.org>

> The question that needs to be clarified is 'what is the service'. Is it
> the client-server that Roy is talking about and WSDL alludes to? Or is
> it the engine behind the server that has maintained state and so
> recognizes the client and is stateful. What's your take?

Well, as Mike mentioned before, SOAP and WSDL do not have notion of state. So if we want to talk about state we have to move to a level above that. (You might want to call that a semantic view of what the service actually does). I used the BPEL Web service example because in that case you have a specific document (the process document written in the BPEL language) that tells you what the internals of the Web service (i.e. the business process) look like.

Ugo