Re: Counting noses on "is SOAP and/or WSDL intrinsic to the def inition of Web service"

From: Jon Dart <jdart@tibco.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 17:25:57 -0700
To: Hao He <Hao.He@thomson.com.au>
CC: "'Christopher B Ferris'" <chrisfer@us.ibm.com>, "'www-ws-arch@w3.org'" <www-ws-arch@w3.org>

Hao He wrote:

> <hh>I believe that the WSA we produce should also be part of the Web arch.
> A layered architecture that enables developers to see a natural transition
> from non-SOAP XML to SOAP will only benefit all of us. </hh>

+1 to this. I'm not really uncomfortable with the point of view that
WSDL and SOAP are necessary, but IMO WSDL is more necessary thant SOAP.
If you have WSDL, you have a framework to hang alternative protocols
onto, even HTTP GET/POST if that's where you are at; if you have SOAP,
you have specified a protocol. So IMO there is a logical layering there.
If this point has been made before, apologies, but from my perusal of
the list I have mostly seen "WSDL & SOAP" vs. "neither WSDL nor SOAP",
and IMO the above is a reasonable compromise position.

--Jon