Re: SOAP UML diagram

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 16:06:56 -0400
To: www-ws-arch@w3.org

On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 11:16:23AM -0700, David Orchard wrote:
> Some comments:
> - I believe that a body is a header that is targetted at the ultimate
> receiver

Yah, ditto to what Martin said.  I recall this being discussed and
(I think) refuted on xml-dist-app sometime ago.

>   - a collection of 2 or more messages can be an mep

Really?

I would say that a MEP describes how a message is exchanged.  It seems
to me that it's orthogonal to the message itself.  I'm not sure how some
number of messages would change that.

>   - a module is a header

A module is more of a spec.  It can define one or more headers.

>   - a message has a binding to a protocol.

Hmm, tough one.  I'd just say that a binding binds SOAP messages
to an underlying protocol.

BTW, I'd also recommend using the terminology from SOAP 1.2 section
1.5, as those terms were very carefully chosen.  "message" is a bit
ambiguous; if we mean "SOAP message", I'd suggest using it.  This
section also provides a great place to discover the kinds of
relationships that the diagram might want to expose.

  Actively seeking contract work or employment