Re: Proposed text on reliability in the web services architecture

----- Original Message -----
From: "Hao He" <Hao.He@thomson.com.au>

> I think Walden has made a good point. We don't really care about RM, which
> itself has been solved in the TCP/IP layer or other messaging layer
already.
> The whole RM thing is misleading within Web Services context. What we
really
> care is a reliable way of coordinating a client and its server, although
RM
> might be helpful.

I'm sure most people here have read this paper, but I thought I'd point it
out anyway, sorry if these are old bits.

http://www.reed.com/Papers/EndtoEnd.html
END-TO-END ARGUMENTS IN SYSTEM DESIGN
J.H. Saltzer, D.P. Reed and D.D. Clark*
M.I.T. Laboratory for Computer Science

This paper presents a design principle that helps guide placement of
functions among the modules of a distributed computer system. The principle,
called the end-to-end argument, suggests that functions placed at low levels
of a system may be redundant or of little value when compared with the cost
of providing them at that low level. Examples discussed in the paper include
bit error recovery, security using encryption, duplicate message
suppression, recovery from system crashes, and delivery acknowledgement. Low
level mechanisms to support these functions are justified only as
performance enhancements.