Re: Summing up on visibility(?)

From: Walden Mathews <waldenm@optonline.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 22:24:20 -0500
To: "Champion, Mike" <Mike.Champion@SoftwareAG-USA.com>, www-ws-arch@w3.org

Mike,

> > You want to have that discussion again? 8-)  XML is just syntax.
> > There's nothing in XML+namespaces that a firewall can use to make a
> > security decision.  It needs application level knowledge (see the
> > message to Miles).
>
> Whatever.  All I know is that every day I see another article in the trade
> press about this; today's is
> http://www.networkmagazine.com/article/NMG20021223S0005

Are you familiar with the term 'marketecture'?

> I presume that admins can configure the firewall to reject all messages
they
> don't recognize the application semantics of, and use various rules to
> control the processing of messages they do recognize.

From the second page of the article above:

"However, those who may want to take action on XML content-such as read the
identity of an XML object or encrypt a specific XML field-will require
additional XML capabilities. "It's like the difference between C and
assembler," says Kerry Champion, president of Westbridge Technology
(www.westbridgetech.com). "Sure, I can do everything in assembler that I can
in C, but it's a question of time and resources.""

What does this say to you, in practical terms?

> Roy's quote says nothing about using only HTTP headers to monitor, cache,
> etc. the information.  If an intermediary understands XML and SOAP, in can
> be configured to use XPath or whatever to peek into messages and make such
> decisions.  Thus, *XML* allows "visibility".

In order to perform a security function, wouldn't it have to "understand"
more than XML and SOAP syntax, though?  How would it arrive at that
(higher) level of understanding?

Walden