[Fwd: Re: InfoWorld: OASIS seeks URI scheme that accommodates XML, Web serv ices]

At the request of my fellow countryman Mark Baker,  here are some brief
details of what ebXML needed.

IN ebXML, a lot of work has been done in the area of semantics.  IN
particular, ebXML has devised a list of business element meta-data
called "core components".  These are things like "Telephone Number" or
"Invoice Sub Total" etc.  Because many disparate vocabularies exist
today and all use their own element names for these items, the business
requirements of ebXML users was to be able to positively identify that
element "x" in one vocabulary was equivalent to element "y" in another
vocabulary. (within certain contexts - heirarchal and other).  The way
we decided to do this was to use a Globaly Unique Identifier.  Many
different ideas were submitted for what these GUID's should be but most
favored some sort of URI based scheme.

A similar use case is needed in ebXML for identifying Business Process
instances, Business INformation Entities and other artifacts.

The architecture team determined that to accomodate all the use cases
and requirements, the GUID's would have to:

1.  be capable of uniquely identifying an artifact
2.  be capable of relaying information where the master copy of the
artifact is located
3.  identify the protocol used to retreive the artifact

David Orchard and I had a whiteboard session here in Vancouver and
examined the requirements in greater detail (in addition to planning a
great snowboarding trip to Whistler, BC).

Some excellent work has been done in this area including a few great
RFC's by Michael Mealling, some really good ideas by Chris Ferris and
now William Kammerer has also written a proposal on this subject (sorry
for not including the URI's to any of these).

Best wishes

Duane