Re: Summing up on visibility(?)

Ok, I *really* don't want to open this up again full-blown, but I just
have to ask ...

On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 07:15:01PM +0000, Miles Sabin wrote:
> Well, I don't believe that application-level semantics are likely to be
> accessible to anything, intermediary or otherwise, without it having
> some sort of prior knowledge of those semantics (this is just the good
> ol' end-to-end principle).

Wouldn't the prior knowledge of HTTP application semantics by an HTTP
intermediary qualify?  I would agree that, for example, an SMTP message
isn't visible to an HTTP intermediary.  But there's shared knowledge
on application semantics in the HTTP/HTTP case.

I'm not trying to conclude the previous thread.  Just hoping that we can
find agreement on *some* degree of loss in visibility with the method
in the body.