Dynamic invocation vs. late/dynamic binding

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 13:05:21 -0500
To: Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanjiva@watson.ibm.com>
Cc: www-ws-arch@w3.org

Hi Sanjiva,

On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 10:41:31PM +0600, Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:
> There's nothing special at the code level whether the "operation"
> is GET or something that's looked up from a WSDL and dropped inside
> a SOAP envelope.

Yes, there is, as I've been trying really hard to explain.

Here's the Shape example again;

Class Square
{
  displaySquare()
}

Class Circle
{
  displayCircle()
}

interface Shape
{
  display()
}

Late/dynamic binding means being able to manipulate squares and circles
with the Shape interface.  Dynamic invocation means being able to
construct, for example, a "displaySquare" message without compile-time
knowledge of the full Square interface.

The former enables a client written to access Shape objects, to later
access triangles, ovals, hexagons, you name it.  The latter doesn't.