Re: Binding

From: Miles Sabin <miles@milessabin.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 16:54:21 +0000
To: www-ws-arch@w3.org

Mark Baker wrote,
> On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 04:07:04PM +0000, Miles Sabin wrote:
> > The URI in the REST case contains the substring
> > "/ibm/lastshareprice". It needs to know what that substring means
> > just as much (or as little) as the RESTless client needs to know
> > what "getLastSharePriceOfIBM" means.
> No it doesn't.  The URI could be
> http://www.stockquotes.com/9ajp23q9rj89aweruwer and the client would
> still be able to invoke GET on it.  The URI is opaque, in both cases.

And the RESTless version could work just as well if we substituted
"9ajp23q9rj89aweruwer" for "getLastSharePriceOfIBM". What allows this,
in *both* cases is the _prior_ coordination between the client which

  http://www.stockquotes.com/  and  9ajp23q9rj89aweruwer

and the server which is able to respond appropriately to,

  a GET of http://www.stockquotes.com/9ajp23q9rj89aweruwer

  a POST to http://www.stockquotes.com/ with 9ajp23q9rj89aweruwer in the
  request entity.