Re: Binding

From: Miles Sabin <miles@milessabin.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 16:54:21 +0000
To: www-ws-arch@w3.org

Mark Baker wrote,
> On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 04:07:04PM +0000, Miles Sabin wrote:
> > The URI in the REST case contains the substring
> > "/ibm/lastshareprice". It needs to know what that substring means
> > just as much (or as little) as the RESTless client needs to know
> > what "getLastSharePriceOfIBM" means.
>
> No it doesn't.  The URI could be
> http://www.stockquotes.com/9ajp23q9rj89aweruwer and the client would
> still be able to invoke GET on it.  The URI is opaque, in both cases.

<sigh/>

And the RESTless version could work just as well if we substituted
"9ajp23q9rj89aweruwer" for "getLastSharePriceOfIBM". What allows this,
in *both* cases is the _prior_ coordination between the client which
has,

  http://www.stockquotes.com/9ajp23q9rj89aweruwer

or,

  http://www.stockquotes.com/  and  9ajp23q9rj89aweruwer

and the server which is able to respond appropriately to,

  a GET of http://www.stockquotes.com/9ajp23q9rj89aweruwer

or,

  a POST to http://www.stockquotes.com/ with 9ajp23q9rj89aweruwer in the
  request entity.