Re: REST; good for humans and machines

From: Walden Mathews <waldenm@optonline.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2003 08:39:09 -0500
To: Assaf Arkin <arkin@intalio.com>, "Champion, Mike" <Mike.Champion@SoftwareAG-USA.com>, www-ws-arch@w3.org

> My point of contention is that there are discussing two ways of doing
> things. And I value - and agree with the example you gave before and with
> Roy - that one approach would be superior in certain applications. I just
> don't believe the WS architecture should enforce one approach or preclude
> the other.

My preference is for architectures to preclude things which are not part of
their architectural pattern, so that architectural styles are somewhat
distinct,
and the choice among architectural styles is then significant.

If you insist on having One True Architecture and precluding nothing ever,
then you have sentenced yourself to perpetual mush, IMO.

I don't want to be too critical here, but I've read through the architecture
specification draft* and the architecture requirements, and I don't see how
the current direction is going to help a developer make tough choices.  It's
more like a shopping list of distributed design free association.  Good
background reading perhaps, but how to use it?

* ok, no, not all the way

Walden