Re: Binding

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 00:00:29 -0500
To: Miles Sabin <miles@milessabin.com>
Cc: www-ws-arch@w3.org

On Sun, Jan 05, 2003 at 08:54:15PM +0000, Miles Sabin wrote:

> Mark Baker wrote,
> > I'm going to take the binding discussion off-list with Miles.  It's a
> > tad distracting, and just a nomenclature issue.
>
> I disagree, I think it gets to the heart of the matter. I'd prefer to
> keep any discussion on list.

Ok, sure.  You previously asked;

> OK then, why would you be able to postpone the decision to GET
> http://www.stockquotes.com/ibm/lastshareprice more than the decision to
> POST an entity containing getLastSharePriceOfIBM?

The decision that's being postponed in the case of GET *is* to invoke
getLastSharePriceOfIBM.  It's not part of the interface, because GET
and the URI are providing an abstraction.

In the tunnel-over-POST case, getLastSharePriceOfIBM is the explicit
semantic being requested in the message, and its binding can therefore
not be delayed.

Ok?