RE: REST; good for humans and machines

From: Assaf Arkin <arkin@intalio.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 20:20:57 -0800
To: "Walden Mathews" <waldenm@optonline.net>, "Champion, Mike" <Mike.Champion@SoftwareAG-USA.com>, <www-ws-arch@w3.org>

> > I just can't get worked up over the
> > distinction between POSTing a getLastSharePriceOfIBM message
> and GETing a
> > http://www.stockquotes.com/ibm/lastshareprice resource.
> I can, but I think it depends on where your client got the string
> "getLastShardPriceOfIBM".
> (typo intentional)

You mean the distinction between getLastShardPriceOfIBM and
http://www.stockquotes.com/ibm/lastsharedprice (typo repeated)?

In the first case the service can report that the operation is unknown and
list all (say 10?) operations it supports.

In the second case the service can report that the URI is unknown and list
all (10,000?) URIs it knows of.

Not that it makes one typo superior to the other, but perhaps there's some
hidden distinction here that could actually represent a compelling argument
to favor one approach over the other in a different, less marginal, use