Re: REST; good for humans and machines

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 18:51:33 -0500
To: Assaf Arkin <arkin@intalio.com>
Cc: www-ws-arch@w3.org

Arkin,

> When we get to purchase order management, not all links are equivalent. One
> will just retrieve the purchase order status, another would cancel it, yet
> another would change the shipment time.

No, GET means "retrieve a representation of the identified resource".
It should always be safe;

http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-webarch-20021115/#pr-deref-safe

I suggest you respond to Roy with the rest of your concerns about his
statement and its implications.  If the WG wants to make claims about
REST, they should be able and prepared to defend them with the guy who
created it, no?