Re: Issue 5; GET vs GetLastTradePrice

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 13:25:16 -0500
To: David Orchard <dorchard@bea.com>
Cc: www-ws-arch@w3.org

On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 09:38:27AM -0800, David Orchard wrote:
> The question from a Web services perspective, is does this same optimization
> make sense?  Do we have programs that already have prebuilt "method"s, or
> even a default method, and we simply have to punch in new addresses?  I
> don't think so.

It's not "Do we have ... ", Dave, since obviously our legacy enterprise
systems don't; they have custom interfaces.  The question should be
"*Can* we have ...".  And by that I don't mean can we rewrite our
existing software, I mean can we "wrap" that software with other
software that presents a uniform interface to its data and behaviour?

The answer to that is, for the vast majority of applications, yes.