RE: Sync Definition #2 (corrected)

Appologies if these definitions have not already been proposed, the thread
is simply too long for
me to catch up:)

synchronous message exchange (applies to oneway as well as
request/response) requires that both
sender and receiver, or initiator and respondant, processes are
running/active at the same time as the
exchange takes place. In the case of request/response, the exchange is
synchronous if both sender and receiver
remain in the running/active state for both the request and response.

asynchronous message exchange (also applies to oneway or request response)
does not require,
but does not preclude, that both sender and receiver, or initiator and
respondant, processes are
running/active at the same time as the exchange takes place. It typcally
requires some form of mediation
between the sender and receiver such as a message queue.

I believe that we could extend these definitions to whole conversations as
well.

Cheers,

Christopher Ferris
email: chrisfer@us.ibm.com
phone: +1 508 234 3624

"David Orchard" <dorchard@bea.com>
Sent by: www-ws-arch-request@w3.org
02/27/2003 11:41 AM

<www-ws-arch@w3.org>
cc

Subject
RE: Sync Definition #2 (corrected)

What classifies as "wait for a response"?  I typically think of a
synchronous definition as "a programmatic flow of control on the sender
effectively does nothing but wait for a response after sending it's
request".  And before everybody goes gaga over showing edge cases that are
asynch that have flow of control, or multiple flows of control that are
synch, that's not the real issue.  The point is that synchronicity
typically has the notion of *something* blocking and waiting for the
response.

Another approach is to couple synchronicity with connections.  So
synchronous is where the request and response flow forwards and backwards
over the same virtual connection between the sender and receiver.  Of
course, it's possible to have synch interactions over non-synch
connections, which is why I think that synchronicity is more of a feature
of program logic than bits on the wire.

Hey look, textual suggestion and only 8 sentences of prose.

Cheers,
Dave