Re: Application Protocol Definition (was RE: Visibility (was Re: Intr oducing the Service Oriented Architec tural style ...

Just my 2 cents thrown in from the spectator stands...

I agree that "application protocol" is not the right term for the
collection of "slightly more specialized but still general protocols".  I
often refer to those as Utility Protocols rather than Application
Protocols which should focus on the abstract business operations and data
needing to be exchanged.

The order I would recommend is:

1. Network Protocols
2. Communication Protocols
3. Messaging Protocols
4. Utility Protocols
     a. Business Transaction Protocols
     b. Discovery Protocol
     c. Negotiation Protocol
     .... <etc> ...
5. Business Protocols
6. Application Protocols

- James Snell
     IBM Emerging Technologies
     jasnell@us.ibm.com
     (559) 587-1233 (office)
     (700) 544-9035 (t/l)
     Programming Web Services With SOAP
         O'Reilly & Associates, ISBN 0596000952

     Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous.
     Do not be terrified, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your
     God will be with you whereever you go.    - Joshua 1:9

"Burdett, David" <david.burdett@commerceone.com>
Sent by: www-ws-arch-request@w3.org
02/27/2003 03:33 AM

"'Assaf Arkin'" <arkin@intalio.com>, Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>,
"Burdett, David" <david.burdett@commerceone.com>
cc
www-ws-arch@w3.org
bcc

Subject
Application Protocol Definition (was RE: Visibility (was Re: Intr oducing
the Service Oriented Architec tural  style ...

Arkin

You said ...

>>> This of course doesn't help much, because we've just introduced three
different protocols, one described by HTTP, one described by WSDL and one
described by WSCI (just as an example). Again as with synch/asynch, this
is all a matter of applying a definition in the proper context.<<<

It might not help, but it is real life. You do have multiple protocols
operating in combination at different "layers", for example (not sure this
list is complete or the names are right)

1. Network infrastructure protocols, e.g. TCP/IP
2. Communication protocols, e.g. HTTP
3. Messaging protocols, e.g. ebXML Messaging or WS-RM
4. Business protocols, e.g. Order placement protocol that defines sequence
of exchange of business documents

You can also have other more slightly more specialized but still general
"protocols", e.g.
5. Two phase commit, e.g. Business Transaction Protocol
6. Discover protocol, e.g To discover a WSDL or Schema definition (REST
can work well here)
7. Negotiation protocol, e.g. To negotiate which combination of protocols
1 through 4 to use in a specific instance

... we could probably go on ...

The point is just calling some or all of these an "Application Protocol"
is, IMHO, insufficiently precise.

Do you think we should try and define these types of protocol and what
they mean in more detail?

David