Re: Visibility (was Re: Introducing the Service Oriented Architec tural style, and it's constraints and properties.

Hey, it was rhetorical!  I think that means I get another kick at the
can.  8-)

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 11:13:22AM -0500, Champion, Mike wrote:
> It's not an application protocol, it's an application *using* a bunch of
> protocols possibly including SOAP, and/or HTTP, and/or pigeon transport, to
> do its job.

So what would you call the protocol I'm using below?

$ grep 'stockquote' /etc/services
stockquote         99/tcp

$ telnet some-host 99
Trying some-ip
Connected to some-host
Escape character is '^]'.

GET_STOCK_QUOTE sunw     (I entered this)

<quote>                  (the service responded with this)
  <symbol>SUNW</symbol>
  <value>3.3872</value>
</quote>
Connection closed by foreign host.

$

Ok, *somebody* has gotta be having an "Aha moment" after that one.
I'll buy dinner for whomever responds first with "I get it now",
publically (RESTifarians and their immediate family members are
excluded from this offer 8-).