Re: Visibility (was Re: Introducing the Service Oriented Architec tural style, and it's constraints and properties.

On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 09:09:31PM -0500, Champion, Mike wrote:
> > Whoa, where'd that last part come from?  Reference please.  I agree
> > that protocol independance is a good thing, but not such that there's
> > no semantic difference between using HTTP and SMTP, for example.  Of
> > couse there's a difference; they're different applications.
> >

> Whoa yourself :-)  If a SOAP message has a semantic difference if it is
> transported (I use the term deliberately) over SMTP than if it is POSTed
> over HTTP (or send on a floppy disk by sneakernet), then some deep
> requirement of WSA (and SOAP 1.2, IIRC) is not being met.

Do you recall the recent xml-dist-app discussion about the semantics of
a SOAP message including the method of the underlying protocol?  Noah
wrote;

  'I think it's useful and appropriate to separate the term "message"
  from "envelope".   I think the destination and web method are surely
  part of the message.'
 -- http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xml-dist-app/2003Feb/0005

Which says to me that sending a SOAP envelope with HTTP PUT means
something different than sending it with POST (and any other
application protocol method, for that matter).