Re: Snapshot of Web Services Glossary

From: Walden Mathews <waldenm@optonline.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 19:01:03 -0500
To: Assaf Arkin <arkin@intalio.com>, www-ws-arch@w3.org

> > I understand your explanation, but I don't think this advances the
> > effort, because the meaning of "synchronous protocol" is not clear,
> > at least not to me.
>
> How about:
>
> synchronous protocol - one which allows a request followed by a response

What protocol doesn't?

> synchronous only protocol - one which mandates a request be followed by a
> response

What protocol can 'mandate' a response?  And now you're introducing
yet another term: 'synchronous only protocol'.  Is that necessary?

BTW, I think "synchronous protocol" is unnecessary verbiage, no more
descriptive than "synchronous exchange", which need not apply to the
whole protocol.  Do you "agree" that what makes TCP "synchronous" is
the fact that each transmitted segment cannot be cleared from the send
buffer until it has been acknowledged?  If so, why are we calling that
"synchronous" instead of "mandatory acknowledgement" or some other
obvious choice?

WM