Re: Snapshot of Web Services Glossary

----- Original Message -----
From: "Assaf Arkin" <arkin@intalio.com>
To: "Champion, Mike" <Mike.Champion@SoftwareAG-USA.com>;
<www-ws-arch@w3.org>
Sent: Monday, February 24, 2003 5:50 PM
Subject: RE: Snapshot of Web Services Glossary

> How about:
>
> An operation is synchronous if both service requester and service provider
> engage will alway engage in that operation at the same time.

Not bad.  "Synchronous operation" ~= "synchronous exchage".  What
about saying something about how strictly to interpret "at the same
time", or some model that permits such?  Clearly, if I wait ten minutes
for your response, I'm participating in synchrony, and we're not
requesting and responding at the same time.

> Or:
>
> An interaction is synchronous if activities demarcated by that interaction
> will always be performed at the same time.

It seems to call for an awful lot of stuff happening "at the same time",
a concept difficult to conceive of unless you take that to mean within
the same time interval.  If you do that, then there's the length of the
interval to look at.

What do you think about, simply:

Synchronous operations may fail by "timing out" i.e., taking too long.
For asynchronous operations, "timing out" is undefined.

WM