Consensus (was RE: A question for our leaders (was RE: AR023.7.1 (was Re: Dead trou t)

Remember that it is the WG that has to reach consensus, not everyone on the
mailing list.  We do our work in public, but that doesn't mean that everyone
out there gets a veto.  They get to see what the WG is thinking and have
their opinion heard.

So, I'm not actually seeing much disagreement within the WG on the
visibility permathread.  Dave Orchard did post something about the
importance of visibility a week or so ago, but he hasn't pushed back on my
pushback on Mark/Matthew on this topic :-)

As for synchronous/asynchronous, I don't think we're all that far apart
conceptually.

I've lost track of exactly what we're agreeing or disagreeing about in this
thread on the use of URIs and GET.  I personally think that it's like
everything else -- there are desireable and undesireable qualities of GET,
and our job is to document them so that actual developers can make rational
choices.  "Real" architects don't have religious wars over whether to use
steel, wood, or stone as universal principles (although some specialize in
one or another), they know the costs and benefits of each.  A steel/glass
cathedral would not be very aesthetically appealing, but a stone office
building would be hideously expensive.  [BTW, our corporate HQ is built out
of wood and stone without steel (above ground, anyway). It's beautiful
(IMHO), but allegedly the most expensive office space per square meter in
Europe.  This apparently was a good tradeoff in the mind of our founder.]

Finally, in general, the glossary can include alternate definitions of a
slippery term, just like "real" dictionaries do.  It's our role to document
and organize different opinions and definitions, not to define the "true"
meaning if there is no consensus.