RE: Snapshot of Web Services Glossary

From: Ugo Corda <UCorda@SeeBeyond.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 10:29:15 -0800
To: "Walden Mathews" <waldenm@optonline.net>, <www-ws-arch@w3.org>

>Then there's a reference to a "synchronous HTTP POST".
>Not sure if "synchronous" adds any meaning there.

I think that "synchronous" in that context refers to the fact that the HTTP POST is expected to carry the response back on the same HTTP interaction.

It's probably qualified as "synchronous" to distinguish it from an "asynchronous" HTTP POST, where the HTTP response (which will come back just because HTTP is a synchronous protocol) might be viewed by the client as just an ack from the server, or might be ignored. The "real" SOAP response would in that case come on a separate interaction and not via the initial HTTP response.

Ugo