  From: www-ws-arch-request@w3.org [mailto:www-ws-arch-request@w3.org]On
Behalf Of Burdett, David
  Sent: Sunday, February 23, 2003 3:56 PM
  To: jim@ironringsoftware.com; www-ws-arch@w3.org
  Subject: RE: Terminology Question

  For what it's worth here's are my ideas based on what other groups such as
ebXML and WS Choreography tend to use (I am off-line and so can't quote)
Really there are two levels:

  1. Message Exchange Patterns are a short exchange of messages such as
one-way or request-response, together with associated
acknowledgement/receipt messages.

  2. A Conversation consists of a combination of Message Exchange Patterns
where all the messages are related in some way.

  The word "Conversation" is used because the exchange of information can
consist of an indeterminate number of exchanges of information as in a real
conversation between people. A classic example of a conversation is the
sequence of messages exchanged to place and/or change an order:

  BUYER                     SELLER
         Order -------->
               <-------- Order Response
  Change Order -------->