RE: Resource definition

> I think that's the right approach. I personally would like to see the
> _web_ architecture to be broad enough to be synonymous with the RFC 2396
> definition. Its things like RDF, REST, web services etc that should have
> the more narrow constraints....

Agreed. The Web Architecture needs to define the key resources classes,
and their relationships to one another.  For example, you have Application
Resources and Protocol Resources.  Protocol Resources constrain how you
access and manipulate Application Resources.  REST, Web Services, etc are
types of Protocol Resources.  Application Resources have such and such
properties.  Protocol Resources have such and such properties.  While the
naming may stink, the idea should be clear.

- James Snell
     IBM Emerging Technologies
     jasnell@us.ibm.com
     (559) 587-1233 (office)
     (700) 544-9035 (t/l)
     Programming Web Services With SOAP
         O'Reilly & Associates, ISBN 0596000952

     Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous.
     Do not be terrified, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your
     God will be with you whereever you go.    - Joshua 1:9

Michael Mealling <michael@verisignlabs.com> wrote on 02/18/2003 03:34:37
PM:

> On Tue, 2003-02-18 at 18:21, James M Snell wrote:
> > Ok, that's fine, but where do you draw the line?  If everything
becomes a
> > resource then the idea of a resource begins to lose value.  Simply
> > asserting that "All Web services have an identity and are therefore
> > resources" doesn't seem to add any value.

> Its not intended to add very much value other than the fact that you now
> have an identifier for it. Its what  you build on top of that by making
> system specific assumptions and standards that ends up being useful. But
> its also a fact that you can't build something system specific until you
> have a common way of identifying nodes on the network.

> Take IP for example, without TCP, UDP and ICMP its rather a useless
> protocol. But it does give you an addressing scheme and a  basic packet
> format that you then build on to make useful things happen. Resources by
> themselves are pretty useless. But once you have something like RDF and
> a set of rules for what to expect in an RDF graph, well then you have
> something!

> > Personally, I believe that Dave
> > Orchard's question in the original note that I responded to should
have
> > been something like "1. The W3C TAG should darned well write up what
> > **class of resources are most relevant** from a web architecture
> > perspective"

> Now that's a much more interesting and tractable question!

> > If the answer to that question includes the class of
> > resources that describe mechanisms of accessing other resources then
> > you've got something valuable because you've narrowed down the scope.
If