Re: Messaging Service Layer

From: Walden Mathews <waldenm@optonline.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 12:08:39 -0500
To: Anne Thomas Manes <anne@manes.net>
Cc: www-ws-arch@w3.org

> The topmost level of the OSI stack (Level 7 - the application layer)
> represents the network layer (application protocol) that applications use
> access the network. HTTP sits in Level 7. That's why we view HTTP as the
> "transport" layer. It is the OSI Level 7 application protocol that we use
> access the network.

If you want a transport, why don't you use TCP?  Because of firewalls,
right?
But since firewalls have to be upgraded to understand what's buried inside
SOAP
messages and all that, why not just bite the bullet and decide to do things
right in the first place?  Where, in the space of the WSA, is there anything
remotely echoing this "do it right" sentiment?  The layers of bastardization
are,
frankly, discouraging.

Walden