Re: Including Semantics

David,

WSDL 1.2 addresses semantics in a very limited way by saying that the
"targetNamespace" of a WSDL document SHOULD identify the
semantics[1][2].  It doesn't require a document at the end of that
targetNamespace URL, nor does it say what kind of document it should be if
there is one.  (That is outstanding TAG issue namespaceDocument-8[3].)

If this WSDL 1.2 suggestion is followed, and the semantics are indeed fully
specified by a document at the end of the targetNamespace URL, then those
semantics should encompass all of the kinds of semantics that you list.  In
other words, the semantics of the Web service as a whole would encompass
the semantics of various transactions, messages and fields within the messages.

However, since those semantics are written only in terms of the Web
service, without knowledge of the particular client that may be invoking
that service, they may have been described in a manner that is somewhat
parameterized.  In other words, those semantics may in effect be like a
semantics template, into which specifics must be inserted to produce the
semantics for a specific client relationship or interaction.   Thus, it may
also make sense to have another semantics identifier for a particular
client-service relationship or interaction (which in turn might reference
the afore-mentioned semantics template).  The concept of a "CPA" that Duane
Nickull mentioned[4] looks to me like it roughly corresponds to this idea.

1. http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2002Oct/0111.html
(Semantics proposal)
2. http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2002Nov/0010.html (WG
decision: Agenda item 9)