Re: EDI Stakeholder Perspective

From: Paul R Brown <prb@fivesight.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 18:51:12 -0600
Cc: www-ws-arch@w3.org
To: "Cutler, Roger (RogerCutler)" <RogerCutler@chevrontexaco.com>

Roger --

Your post of 2003-11-08:

> Here is draft text for an EDI Stakeholder's Perspective.  Note that
> there are, as generally characterizes a stakeholder perspective,
> elements drawn from multiple models.  I have tried to call these out
> explicitly where possible.
> [... SNIP ...]

More than a month has passed without any comment on the list, and I
wanted to comment that I think you hit a very important and slippery
nail on the head with this post.

Supply chains typically require a level of lubrication with elbow
grease far above that in application-to-application and most
service-oriented scenarios, and that requirement increases with the
number of participants.  The reason is that you can't exclude the small
participants: Excel over facsimile, hand-entered EDI over modem, bisync
modems carrying LU traffic from old SAP installations, etc.  In
addition to duplicating protocol and encoding considerations, any
proposed successor to EDI systems must provide a clean mechanism for a
human to patch into a running ecosystem, locate events, back messages
out of one process, decant them into another, etc. -- essentially what
you're saying.

	-- Paul