RE: Book chapter on Synch/Asynch

From: Doug Kaye <doug@rds.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 08:01:30 -0700
To: "'Francis McCabe'" <fgm@fla.fujitsu.com>, "'Sai Surya Kiran Evani'" <evani@informatik.uni-freiburg.de>
Cc: <www-ws-arch@w3.org>

>Francis asked:
>     By event driven, I assume you mean an event driven
>	implementation design pattern?

Yes, that's what I meant.

>Kiran asked:
>
>	Would calling the message exchanges ordered/unordered instead of
>	sync/async be more clear?

Interesting question. I wonder if it's really all that simple. I also wonder
whether it's sufficient to ignore the realities of time. For example, is
there any difference between a request/response MEP that spans a few seconds
and one that spans a few days? One would certainly expect a difference in
implementation although they're abstractly the same. It depends on what
you're trying to define and for what purpose.

(Please forgive me if my responses are particularly naive. I haven't been
part of this discussion until now, and I understand there's likely been much
debate on this topic by others more qualified than me.)

     ...doug

Doug Kaye, CEO
RDS Strategies LLC
doug@rds.com, www.rds.com