Re: SOAP and SMTP/POP

From: Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanjiva@watson.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 05:49:19 +0600
To: <bytecode@Phreaker.net>, <www-ws-arch@w3.org>

<bytecode@Phreaker.net> writes:
> If I use SMTP/POP as the underlying transport, is there any standard to
> specify this in my WSDL ?

I assume you want to carry SOAP over this. No, unfortunately there is no
standard WSDL SOAP/SMTP binding yet.

> How do I specify the bindings in WSDL ?

Its actually quite simple. The only thing the client needs to know is
the email address- the POP server info is really a server-side config
issue and not something that the client cares about.

I believe SOAP 1.2 defines an email binding, which presumably says
that if a request-response MEP is in operation then the SMTP Reply-To:
header should be used. If so, all you'd need to say in WSDL is:

    <binding ..>
        <soap:binding transport="http://.../smtp"/>
        .. usual stuff ..
    </binding>

    <service ..>
        <port ..>
            <soap:address>mailto:address</soap:address>
        </port>
    </service>

Sanjiva.