RE: Definition for a Web Service

From: Cutler, Roger (RogerCutler) <RogerCutler@chevrontexaco.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 09:47:57 -0500
To: "Jean-Jacques Moreau" <jean-jacques.moreau@crf.canon.fr>, www-ws-arch@w3.org

I think that this happened because of all the confusion about URI's and
QNames.  As I understand it (and I am very willing to admit that I
understand this imperfectly), just about everyone concerned would be
VERY happy to say that Web services are identified by URI's -- except
that currently in WSDL they are identified by a Qname -- which is not
exactly a URI but can be mapped to a URI.  This, at the least, adds a
layer of confusion to any conversation on this subject.  I think that
the basic thinking was that the "Web-related standards" would lead one
sort of inevitably to URI's, and that the detailed issues could be dealt
with ... in the detailed sections, I guess.