Re: Issue: Synch/Asynch Web services

From: Geoff Arnold <Geoff.Arnold@Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2003 16:03:07 -0400
To: Mario Jeckle <mario@jeckle.de>
Cc: www-ws-arch@w3.org

> Bottom line: From my point of view async/sync is a question of blocking
> or not, and completely separated from the underlying protocol. It just
> has to provide sufficient ways to handle the message exchange in the
> way
> desired by the application.

If it were the case that sync/async were merely a question of blocking
or non-blocking, WSA (and SOAP, and.....) would have nothing to
say on the subject, since our specifications are silent on the
question of implementation.

However there is an alternative viewpoint (that sync/async is a
property of message exchange patterns), and this has nothing
whatsoever to do with implementation, blocking, threading and so forth.

Geoff