Re: Issue: Synch/Asynch Web services

From: Francis McCabe <fgm@fla.fujitsu.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 10:25:59 -0700
Cc: www-ws-arch@w3.org, www-wsa-comments@w3.org
To: "Cutler, Roger (RogerCutler)" <RogerCutler@chevrontexaco.com>

Roger:
   Some clarifications may be in order:

On Monday, August 4, 2003, at 07:29  AM, Cutler, Roger (RogerCutler)
wrote:

> I emphasize above that I have mostly concentrated my personal efforts
> on the concept of synchronous, and although I have some hope that
> asynchronous may come along fairly easily as the complement of
> synchronous, nonetheless Frank’s introduction of the concept of
> rendezvous as a necessary component of asynchronous operations gives
> me a bit of pause.  Is this a requirement that asynchronous messages
> carry information not required in synchronous messaging in order to
> support a later rendezvous?  If so such a requirement might well be
> discussed more explicitly in the WSA.

The term rendezvous was coined (I believe) by Tony Hoare, in his work
on Communicating Sequential Processes, from the early 80's. It is not a
component of asynchronous operations. Put simply, rendezvous means `at
the same time'; which, for me at any rate, is the core of the meaning
in synchronous.

I use the phrase `application rendezvous' to mean that two applications
are `at the same place, at the same time' as a kind of generalization
of message communication. (This doesn't mean that they are doing the
same thing of course!) Hoare uses the notion of a rendezvous event.

Frank