OffTopic -- Always look on the sunny side ....

From: Champion, Mike <Mike.Champion@SoftwareAG-USA.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 16:54:47 -0600
To: www-ws-arch@w3.org

[Background: some clown named Charlie Northrup was given a US Patent that he
claims covers Web services.  This article in XML Journal gets the reactions
from various people in the XML community to Northrup's attempts to enforce

"BEA's Tyler Jewell as usual takes a refreshingly honest and upfront view.
... "Charlie's lawyers are going to have a devil of a time determining what
Web services even are, much less figuring out how their patent remotely

So, I guess we have done the community a great service by trying so hard,
and failing so badly, to define "Web services" :-)