Re: Plan B: fundamental contraints and scope

Hi Dave,

On Mon, Apr 21, 2003 at 11:59:22AM -0700, Dave Hollander wrote:
> Here is a first pass at putting together the constraints and
> examples servics. It tries to avoid the "what is a WS" discussion
> and just lay out definitions and conformance statements.
>
> Do these constraints make sense? I know I am not happy with
> a few of them.

I think they're ok for now.

> Is the analysis useful?

I like it, FWIW.

> If so, I think we should concentrate on getting these details
> understand and agreed upon. Then we can take up the "what is"
> discussion again.

I'd say that the "?" for example 5, re URIs, is likely "1", at least per
2.2.9 in the latest version of the refactored arch doc, and assuming
that it's a typical SOAP service (rather than a RESTful one).

I say this because 2.2.9 says that URIs identify resources, and
while it's true that the service is a resource, it isn't true that
the service provides URIs to its constituent resources (i.e. ex5
appears to be "Mediated SOA" rather than "Direct SOA").

So perhaps along with changing it to "1", perhaps example 5 can be
beefed up a bit, along the lines of;

  The "service" is some executable software accessed by a SOAP interface
  whose only description is the Java code that actually implements it;
  the client agent is hand-coded after a telephone conversation with the
  developer of the "service.  The SOAP interface is specific to the type
  of service being offered, and is of the "Mediated SOA" style where
  its constituent resources are not made accessible via URIs.