Re: Some proposed definitions of "web service" based on the call toda y

Walden,

I see no reason to call out SOAP RPC explicitly. I think it is implied.

Cheers,

Christopher Ferris
email: chrisfer@us.ibm.com
phone: +1 508 234 3624

www-ws-arch-request@w3.org wrote on 04/18/2003 09:24:07 AM:

> Christopher,
>
> Would you want to include SOAP-based RPC in that first paragraph,
> or is it better to leave it out?  Or is it implied by the broader
"exchange
> of SOAP messages"?
>
> Walden

sufficient to say just SOAP. Finally, since
> we have spent some time discussing the various types of ways in which
people have been using the term,
> I felt that it is probably worthwhile that we share some of these
alternate uses with the readers of the
> WSA and give them a little more background.
>
> How 'bout this:

> The term "Web service" has been used to refer to a wide variety of
things,
> and it is clear that not all people share the same understanding and
definition.
> For some, it has meant simply the exchange of XML over the Web,
typically using HTTP.
> For others, it has meant simply the exchange of SOAP messages, typically
using HTTP,
> or some software component that has been described using WSDL. In a
sense, all of these
> things might be considered to be "Web services", and the Working Group
does not
> preclude the use of the term to describe these sorts of things.
Nevertheless, for

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

> Now, this definition probably deserves some further explanation in order
to say things like
> "there's nothing
> to preclude the use of other protocols (than SOAP) to interact with a
Web service... for the
> purposes of this document, we simply
> aren't going to go there" and "while the definition requires the use of
WSDL, it does not preclude
> the use of
> other technologies or XML vocabularies for its description. however, for
the purposes of this document, we
> aren't going to go there..."
>
> Again, it might be nice to solve the equation for all possible solutions
to WS = U + Xd + Xm (a
> web service is identified
> by a URI and described using XML and interacted with using XML messages)
IMO this represents a daunting
> task. We should be focused on defining an architecture that leverages
the technologies being developed
> in our sibling WGs in the Web Services Activity in its realization.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Christopher Ferris
> Architect, Emerging e-business Industry Architecture
> email: chrisfer@us.ibm.com
> phone: +1 508 234 3624
>
> www-ws-arch-request@w3.org wrote on 04/17/2003 05:36:27 PM:
>

> > Whew, that was fun :-(  Although it got better when we stumbled on the
> > "instant straw poll in IRC" idea; we should do that more often.  I'd
say
> > that in general, anyone who has the "floor" in the speaker queue may
propose
> > one of those by typing the question into IRC; those not on IRC can ask
> > have their vote recorded by someone who is.
> >
> > Let me throw out some proposals that reflect the various opinions I
heard
> > today; without my co-chair hat on, I could live with either of them:

> > The term "web service" is used in a wide variety of ways by different
> > people, and we will not presume that the definition used here is
consistent
> > with all of them.  Nevertheless, for the purposes of this document, we
will
> > use the term to mean the following: A Web service is [an interface to
?] an
> > executable software agent that is designed to be used by another
software
> > agent.  A Web service is
> > identified by a URI, and MUST be [capable of being ?] formally defined
in
> > WSDL 1.2.  A software agent interacts with an  Web service in the
manner
> > prescribed by the formal definition, using the XML Infoset and
processing
> > model defined by SOAP 1.2.
> >
> > [Chris said some things about SOAP being general enough to describe
any
> > reasonable "web service" interaction that I didn't capture very well
> > maybe he can refresh my memory.]

> > The term "web service" is used in a wide variety of ways by different
> > people, but there is a rough consensus along the following lines: A
Web
> > service is an interface to an executable software agent that is
designed to
> > be used by another software agent.  A Web service is identified by a
URI,
> > and has a definition in a language sufficient to describe the
interface to
> > developers of client agents. A software agent interacts with a Web
service
> > in the manner that is consistent with the description, using standard
> > protocols.
> >
> > That definition of "web service" is not sufficiently precise or
rigorous for
> > architectural purposes, however.  We will use a more restrictive term
> > describe the scope of the architecture described here: "Extensible XML
Web