RE: Stranger in a Strange Land

Roger,

Well, in a sense, these things *are* SOAP. SOAP defines an extensibility
model that allows for
metadata to be attached to the message as header blocks, it then defines a
processing model
for the message that specifies the rules by which a SOAP processor must
abide (e.g. that it operates
in one or more defined roles. It provides the mustUnderstand attribute
that a SOAP node uses to
communicate (in a standard way) whether the metadata carried in a header
must be understood
and processed by a receiving node operating in the role that is either
implied or specified (using the
role attribute (actor in SOAP1.1))  This allows the extensibility model to
be consistently applied, which
is an important point to achieving extensibility.

The binding framework comes into play in the process of serializing the
XML Infoset of the SOAP message
and binding it to the underlying transport/transfer layer. It provides for
some of the features to be bound either
at the SOAP level (as SOAP header blocks that must be processed by the
SOAP processor layer of software)
or at the protocol level, to take direct advantage of the protocol
implementation of the feature, etc. An example
here might be the use of headers such as those specified by
WS-ReliableMessaging to effect a SOAP level
implementation, or direct use of WebSphere MQ to effect the same level of
quality of service required, etc.

I could go deeper, but the fact remains that SOAP is much more than *just*
an envelope.

I believe that the SOAP1.2 specifications and the SOAP1.2 primer are the
best sources of understanding
of the SOAP protocol. While I don't imagine or expect that the casual
developer need necessarily read and
completely comprehend these specs, I do think that those of us who are
crafting the WSA *should* do so.

Whether we like it or not, SOAP and WSDL are the technologies that the W3C
has chosen to noodle on
in our sister WGs. IMO, the WSA should, nay MUST, recognize this fact and
IMO focus its attentions on
defining an architecture that has these technologies in its realization.
Our job should be to ensure that
the specifications being developed in our sister WGs, and to the extent
that we can influence, those being
developed elsewhere, satisfy the constraints that we define so that the
properties we seek are realized.
Additionally, we should be seeking to understand and call out areas of
conflict, gap or whatever between
these other specifications so that they can work towards resolving those
issues.

Cheers,

Christopher Ferris
email: chrisfer@us.ibm.com
phone: +1 508 234 3624

"Cutler, Roger (RogerCutler)" <RogerCutler@ChevronTexaco.com> wrote on
04/17/2003 08:30:19 AM:

> Good points.  However, to some extent I don't "get it".  If you have the
time and inclination,
> could you explain the first paragraph in more detail?  I don't
understand some of those phrases --
> or at least how they apply here.  And, I guess if I don't understand and
assuming that I'm not all
> that atypical, perhaps a fuller explanation could be usefully harvested.

However, as I said, there's
> more to SOAP than simply an envelope.
>
> When I was first introduced to SOAP, I had the same thoughts;  "What's
the point?" I too thought
> to myself on occasion in the early days "I don' need no steenkin'
baadgess"

> I believe David Burdett, Eric Newcomer and others have pointed out, it
is when you start thinging
> about standardized headers for things such as security, reliability,
correlation, etc... the metadata
> that typically accompanies messages except in the most simplistic uses,
that SOAP, with its well defined
> processing model, extension and binding framework, etc. can yield
significant benefits.

> I am not just saying this because of the fact that I work for a large
vendor. I came to this point of
> view after cherishing all that I learned participating in the XMLP WG
and then finally grokking what all
> the fuss was about.
>
> I can say with some confidence that I now "get it" and no longer think
to myself "what's all the
> fuss about".
> SOAP is an important aspect. Certainly not "the" most fundamental
aspect, but an important one none
> the less. I do think that it is the ability to also describe, in a
standardized way, using an XML vocabulary
> that is also a fundamental characteristic of Web services, and that it
is some synergy of these that
> is really what makes Web services important.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Christopher Ferris
> Architect, Emerging e-business Industry Architecture
> email: chrisfer@us.ibm.com
> phone: +1 508 234 3624
>
> www-ws-arch-request@w3.org wrote on 04/17/2003 04:21:26 AM:
>
> > Roger, David:
> >
> > In addition to these points, I would add that there is already a set
of actors and roles (i.e.
> > useful, active things that we don't want to reinvent) that understand
SOAP envelopes - the idea of
> > just throwing that away is saddening.
> >
> > Jim
On Behalf Of Burdett, David
> > Sent: 17 April 2003 01:54
> > To: 'Cutler, Roger (RogerCutler)'; www-ws-arch@w3.org
> > Subject: RE: Stranger in a Strange Land
>
> > I can't resist replying to this, and I will probably regret doing it,
but here goes ...

> > Let's start with a question ... why does the USPS like envelopes with
addresses on them in a
> standard place.
> >
> > The answer (I guess) is so that they can more easily offer a lower
cost postal delivery service to
> > anyone who complies with their envelope standard. If there was no
standard envelope format, then
> > they would have to do more work which would cost more - it's the usual
"standards lead to lower
> > costs" argument.
> >
> > Let's also face it we have envelopes already on the web, e.g. for HTTP
and SMTP, people find them
> > useful but they only contain an address (e.g. a URL) and not much
else.

> > So perhaps the real question is what reason is there to use a SOAP
envelope over and above their
> > simpler HTTP or SMTP equivalents?
> >
> > I think there is only one reason and its the same reason as for the
USPS, i.e. it enables (or
> > perhaps more accurately will enable) a lower cost delivery service for
electronic message.

> > Time for another a question. Why do FedEx and UPS exist and why can't
they just use the same
> > envelope as the USPS or no envelope at all.
> >
> > Again the answer is that for FedEx and UPS exist because they offer
additional services at a
> > reasonable cost. They each have standard envelopes as they need
additional information and putting