RE: Stranger in a Strange Land

I can't resist replying to this, and I will probably regret doing it, but
here goes ...

Let's start with a question ... why does the USPS like envelopes with
addresses on them in a standard place.

The answer (I guess) is so that they can more easily offer a lower cost
postal delivery service to anyone who complies with their envelope standard.
If there was no standard envelope format, then they would have to do more
work which would cost more - it's the usual "standards lead to lower costs"
argument.

Let's also face it we have envelopes already on the web, e.g. for HTTP and
SMTP, people find them useful but they only contain an address (e.g. a URL)
and not much else.

So perhaps the real question is what reason is there to use a SOAP envelope
over and above their simpler HTTP or SMTP equivalents?

I think there is only one reason and its the same reason as for the USPS,
i.e. it enables (or perhaps more accurately will enable) a lower cost
delivery service for electronic message.

Time for another a question. Why do FedEx and UPS exist and why can't they
just use the same envelope as the USPS or no envelope at all.

Again the answer is that for FedEx and UPS exist because they offer
additional services at a reasonable cost. They each have standard envelopes
as they need additional information and putting that information on the
envelope in a standard way makes it easier for them to offer the additional
services at a lower cost - just like the USPS

So what things could go in the SOAP envelope that allows additional
value-added services to be provided at lower cost through the use of
standard infrastructure. The list I can think of includes:
1. Security - you can put a digital signature in there to secure the whole
message
2. Reliable Delivery, you can use the headers for a RM protocol in there so
that the application need not be bothered to do the same
3. Conversation tracking. By using ids on a conversation you can have
standard software that routes where a message goes to when it is received -
again the application need not bother
4. Choreogrphy checking, so that you can check that the sequence of messages
in a business transaction are being followed correctly.

OK you don't have to use SOAP for this, but it exists and, I think, meets
the needs described above quite nicely so why bother inventing anything
else.

Right now we are designing: a) the equivalent of the FedEx and the UPS
enevelopes, and b) the infrastructure required to use them for a good
purpose.

But I can *exactly* see why people say, I don't need envelopes now, since
the infrastructure hasn't been built out so the value is not there for
people to see and use.

... but I bet that when it is built out, people will use it because it
provides value, for exactly the same reasons that people use FedEx and UPS
and their standardized envelope formats today.

My $0.02c

David