  From: Champion, Mike
  To: Www-Ws-Arch@W3. Org
  Sent: Tuesday, April 15, 2003 1:25 PM
  Subject: RE: Is This a Web Service?

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Walden Mathews [mailto:waldenm@optonline.net]
    Sent: Tuesday, April 15, 2003 1:16 PM
    To: Anne Thomas Manes; Www-Ws-Arch@W3. Org

    How about leaving off the "should" on the first one, or amending that sentence to read "The service
    should provide some type of description of its interface, or restrict itself to a generic web interface."

  I have a hard time with this.  "Generic web interface" in the REST sense says nothing about the rules for generating the URI or the format of the data to be retrieved.

  Think of Google (the "classic" HTTP/HTML version) ... it might be thought of as a Web service *if* they described the rules for generating a query (apparently pretty simple, just concatenate the search terms together with a "+"), and if they described the format (XHTML  is OK) of the result.  But it's not a "Web service" just by virtue of having a "generic web interface" -- people can use the HTML form on www.google.com and make sense of the result, but machines can't.