RE : Is This a Web Service?

Hi, I'm usually only a lurker on the list (too much work!!), but I feel I
have to jump in there. From my point of view, I fail to see why (in Roger's
example)

TCP-HTTP-SOAP-(PNG image encoded as Base 64)

Is more "interoperable" than

TCP-(HTTP with content type image/png)-(PNG image encoded as Base 64)

On the contrary, the second option works even if one of the participant
doesn't know what XML is, or what SOAP is. You have less protocols in the
stack, and in the end you still need to agree on the data format (image/png)
whatever you use...

For the man in the street, the second example is using the web technologies,
it's performing a service remotely with a well defined interface: it's a Web
Service! Why do I need an extra layer to qualify as the "real web service"?

Ah, well, maybe I'm just rambling, I'll get back in my box...

JP

 	 	 Soamaï
 	 Jean-Philippe Moresmau - CTO-Directeur Technique
 	 1025 rue Henri Becquerel - 34036 Montpellier cedex 01 - FRANCE
 	 Tél : +33(0)4 99 52 65 43 - Mob : +33(0)6 72 75 21 27
 	 Std : +33 (0)1 46 08 69 00 - Fax : +33(0) 67 65 56 20
 	 www.soamai.com