  http://www.ibm.com
  (877) 511-5082 / Office
  930-1979 / Tie Line

www-ws-arch-request@w3.org wrote on 04/14/2003 02:48:38 PM:

> On Monday, April 14, 2003, at 05:29  PM, James M Snell wrote:
> > Custom Web Service: Uses an interface description (e.g. WSDL), but all
> > other WS specs are optional
> > [...]
> > Internet Web Service: Uses an interface description (WSDL) + standard
> > internet protocols (e.g. HTTP).  All other things (e.g. SOAP) are
> > optional.
> >
> > Interoperable Web Service: Uses an interface description (WSDL) +
> > standard
> > internet protoocls (e.g. HTTP) and SOAP.  Generally talking about WS-I
> > basic profile conformance.
>
> (1) This taxonomy is incomplete: we also need to address the
> case of SOAP-over-something-other-than-HTTP.

Yep, absolutely.  I'll be the first to admit that. :-)

> (2) I think we need a distinct term for the explicitly SOAPless case.
>  From the
> above list, the best I can do is "Internet Web Service but without
> SOAP". It's hard to
> talk about composability and interoperability without that one.

Agreed.  Whatever is developed needs to recognize that there is a spectrum
of options that is quite fuzzy at the end where distributed applications
become Web services.

> My own preference is for a high-level split between SOAPY web services
> and
> SOAPLESS web services. (I'll let the marketing types come up with
> better names.)
> The former are compatible with a variety of message transport
> mechanisms (HTTP,
> JMS, email, etc.), which are composable according to the SOAP model;
> HTTP need not be involved at all. The latter use HTTP and may well be
> RESTful.

I don't believe that the use (or lack thereof) of SOAP is a good dividing
line.  Then again, I'm not sure what would replace it as a good dividing
line so I'll just sit back and let y'all figure that one out.  I threw
this out just to add to the mix at bit.