From: Anne Thomas Manes [mailto:anne@manes.net]
Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2003 8:45 AM
To: Jeckle, Mario; Hugo Haas
Cc: Champion, Mike; www-ws-arch@w3.org;
Savas.Parastatidis@newcastle.ac.uk; RogerCutler@chevrontexaco.com
Subject: RE: The stack diagram (was RE: Discussion topic for tomorrow's
call)

I haven't really been following this discussion too closely, so feel free to
ignore my comments if you've already settled this issue, but ...

A stack diagram implies a layered design pattern (think OSI stack), which
indicates that the layer on top calls the layer below to further the
process. It's a runtime processing diagram. It seems to me that we're trying
to convey too much information in this stack diagram. (combining runtime
processing with other things)

The SOAP layer runs on top of the transport layer, not on top of an XML
processing layer. (which is why you need to add the strange L to the
transport layer)  At runtime, XML processing is above the SOAP message
layer. And description is not part of the runtime process. Aggregation might
be part of the runtime process, as could discovery, but I think it normally
comes at a different stage in the process. The lower levels relate to a
single message transfer process. Aggregation works at a completely different
level.

The three role diagram (provider, consumer, broker) shows the relationship
of discovery and description. I don't think these concepts belong in a stack
diagram (which normally illustrates runtime processing).

Anne